Production Intern – Learning System
Make: Lab Intern
Make: inspires, unites, entertains, and educates the growing community of makers who enjoy doing amazing projects in backyards, basements, garages, companies and organizations. Through our family of brands, including a Maker Faire, Make: Magazine, Maker Share, and Maker Camp, Make: celebrates your right to tweak, hack, and bend technology to your will. Make: is a mission driven organization full of people who believe in bettering ourselves, our environment, our organizations, our educational system — our world. Care to join us?
Make: is seeking creative, inquisitive, and collaborative students who are familiar with our brand to work at Make:Labs. Interns will assist with diverse projects for Make: Magazine, our online DIY blog makezine.com, and our other projects and publications. There will also be opportunities to work with other divisions of Maker Media, including Maker Faire and Maker Camp. Internships run from 3 to 12 months. There is some flexibility with academic schedules. Interns will be based in our San Francisco office at 1700 Montgomery Street, and will report to the Projects Editor.
At Make:Labs, we build and test all the projects featured in Make: Magazine, makezine.com and our other publications. We use basic hand and power tools and shop equipment, 3D printers, and most importantly, ingenuity, collaboration and an enthusiasm for learning through making.
- Source project parts, materials and specialized tools
- Build and test diverse projects ranging from electronics and computer coding through woodworking, rocketry, and robotics
- Stage project builds for documentation with step-by-step photos, blog posts, demonstration videos, on-air webcasts and voiceovers, and in-person workshops
- Collaborate with authors, editors and others to resolve problems with project instructions so our readers don’t have to
- Perform routine maintenance tasks essential to the operation of Make:Labs
- Test do-it-yourself kits, 3D printers, new tools, etc., for possible review in the magazine or online
- Travel to and assist at Maker Faires
- Interns are also encouraged to propose their own maker projects to generate content in house
- Making experience of some kind is required – general fabrication, woodworking, model making, prototyping, craft skills, etc
- Background and experience in engineering, electronics, computer coding, digital fabrication and hacking are highly desirable
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills; good collaboration skills; ability to adapt to shifting priorities
- Familiarity with the Make: brand and maker culture
- Ability to execute general fabrication tasks in a shop environment
- Ability to sit and use a computer keyboard for up to 3 hours at a time
- Ability to talk on the telephone frequently and for extended periods of time
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English
- Ability to travel on occasion, up to 5% annually
- Ability to work weekends
Please include a letter of interest, your resume and a portfolio when applying. Apply to [email protected]. Be sure to include the job title in the subject line. Thanks!
Benefits and Other Interesting Tidbits:
- This position is located in our San Francisco office
- Our generous benefits package includes: health, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, and a 401(k) with matching program.
- Shop/desk workstation environment
- Salary and level to be determined by experience and education
- Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer