Senior Development Manager, Community
Maker Media is looking for an experienced engineering manager eager to build great online experiences in the role of Senior Development Manager, Community.
In this role you will be responsible for leading a team of Software Development Engineers to create a world-class online platform supporting the community and content creation needs of the Maker community. You will own the goals and roadmap of your engineering team and will have a major stake in the strategic direction of our platform.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, the Senior Development Manager works collaboratively with product managers, business stakeholders and platform engineers to build, maintain and improve a new Maker Media web property designed to support the Maker community. The Engineering Lead works cross-functionally to plan, define and implement technical requirements including localization in several languages and is responsible for maintaining the performance and user experience of our platform.
As an ideal candidate, you’ve managed UI and Server Side development teams developing modern web applications and have demonstrated hands on experience with interactive web applications. You have strong knowledge in current web technologies, are comfortable in an agile environment and know how to build and guide a highly effective and high performing team.
You have delivered challenging technical solutions at scale. You have led engineering teams and earned the respect of talented software developers. You feel comfortable in the role of player/coach and could context-switch from supervising an off-shore team to writing an API to configuring a server to negotiating a SLA.
This position will work closely with both an off-shore development team and staff developers working in San Francisco and the Denver area.
- Manage the deliverables of external development team(s), working to support the integrity of the product and the overall Make: technical ecosystem
- Work with your team to help understand requirements, evaluate new features, new architecture and help drive decisions
- Assess and support the technical delivery of high-quality projects and products
- Identify and appropriately escalate issues related to uptime and performance tuning for the community platform
- Evaluate localization engineering processes, workflows and concepts to determine methods and tools required for successful localization project implementations
- Work side-by-side with Product Managers to ensure that product requirements are complete and testable as well as satisfying high level requirements from project stakeholders
- Plan and oversee system configuration, site monitoring and load testing of an AWS install
- Work closely with the Director of Engineering and peer Leads to identify and champion system architecture changes
- Design, maintain, and assess engineering priorities taking into account performance, maintainability/complexity, market trends and innovation, controlling costs, system robustness and scalability, and long term quality initiatives
- Assist as necessary with defining roles and assigning workloads for their area of responsibility
- Participate in and monitor the effectiveness of requirement, design, code, unit test and QA test case reviews and inspections
- Integration development & project deliverables as needed including analytics
- Capable of breaking down sprint goals into tasks for other engineers
- Can fully own the release process for new builds
Desired Skills and Experience:
- You understand what it takes to develop and deliver highly scalable and highly performant web applications.
- You know how to motivate and inspire your teams to be as effective as possible.
- You have significant experience working with a distributed team, specifically overseas development teams.
- You have several years experience in a lead role or managing junior developers.
- You can maneuver vague requirements in pursuit of high-level expectations.
- You have a passion for devops, continuous integration and continuous delivery
- You know how to execute and have demonstrated the ability to incrementally delivery on your team’s vision.
- You have outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- You understand the value of unit tests and good documentation and how to write them well.
- You’re looking to be part of a team of mature, effective, kind, hard-working and bright people and feel comfortable in a player-coach role.
- You have a proven ability to manage and resolve complex and ambiguous issues.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical field.
Required Technical Skills:
- Intimate knowledge and experience working with git: branching, merging, pull requests, etc.
- Experience building, shipping, and maintaining APIs of reasonable complexity.
- Experience with localization projects.
- Experience with Scrum and agile development processes and methodologies.
- Knowledge of continuous integration and experience supporting it.
- Real-world experience with Drupal and/or the WordPress CMS a huge plus.
- Knowledge of and passion for the Maker Movement a huge plus.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Computer Science is required.
Benefits and Other Tidbits:
- This position is San Francisco-based, with occasional travel to San Jose, CA and Sebastopol, CA
- Our generous benefits package includes: health, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, and a 401(k) with matching program.
- Salary and level to be determined by experience and education.
- Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Anyone interested in applying can go to www.makermedia.com and find the job openings listed under the “work with us” tab. Email your resume (please include the job title in the subject line) in a Word or PDF document to [email protected].