Notification of Changes
Purpose and Scope
Information Maker Media gathers and tracks
Maker Media collects two kinds of information about users: 1) data that users volunteer by signing up to receive news and product information, entering contests, completing surveys, or buying directly from us; and 2) aggregated tracking data we collect when users interact with us.
We never sell or rent your email address or other personally identifiable information. We use the personal information you provide voluntarily to send you information you’ve requested and to fulfill orders. The specific use of your personal information varies, depending on how you contact us:
- When you sign up online to receive Maker Media newsletters, we use your email address to distribute the newsletter and administer your account.
- When you register for a Maker Media event, we will send you email announcements and updates about Maker Media events and conferences.
- When you order directly from us, we add you to our newsletters list, and we’ll send you update emails and other marketing pieces.
- When you enter a contest or giveaway, we may ask for your name, address, and email address so we can administer the contest and communicate with entrants about the results.
- Third parties we retain to perform functions on our behalf, such as fulfilling orders, processing credit card payments, managing mailing lists, and delivering packages are restricted from using your information for any other purpose.
- We release personal information when we believe that release is appropriate to comply with the law, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Maker Media, our users, or others. This may include exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Aggregated tracking information
We analyze visitors’ use of our sites by tracking information such as pageviews, traffic flow, search terms, and click through. We use this information to improve our sites. We also share this anonymous traffic and demographic information in aggregate form with advertisers and other business partners. We do not share any information with advertisers that can identify an individual user.
You can set your browser to warn you before accepting cookies or to block cookies. If you block cookies, you may not be able to use certain site features or functions.
Third Party Services
We may disclose certain of the information we collect to third-party service providers that help us manage communications to and from the Maker Media websites and improve website performance. We are satisfied that these service providers have privacy policies that restrict them from further disclosing any of your information.
When you create a profile on MakerSpace, we will send you email informing you of your profile activity such as new followers. The personal information we collect about your behavior when you are logged into MakerSpace, such as which projects you like or interests you identify on your profile, helps us recommend content to you. The personal information and related data may be used in a number of ways, including the following:
- To improve the content of the MakerSpace site, including by allowing Maker Media editors to consult with readers.
- To communicate with users about registration and other customer service issues.
- To promote our products and services.
- To conduct research surveys.
What information does Maker Media collect about me?
- Account Information: To build projects or comment on other users’ projects on MakerSpace or makezine.com, you need to make an account. During account creation, we ask you for your real name and we assign you a user name. Other users can see your real name, username and location, but not your email address.
- User-generated Content: All of your MakerSpace projects, comments, and forum posts are stored on the Maker Media, Inc. servers. Other users can see your shared projects, comments, and forum posts, along with your real name and username. Because the MakerSpace Team is responsible for moderation, we have access to all content stored on the MakerSpace website.
- Usage Information: When you use a Maker Media website, our servers will automatically store a limited amount of information about how you use the website. This information includes a number that identifies your computer (the IP address), which pages you visited, and what browser you are using.
How does the MakerSpace Team use my information?
- If you forget your password, we will ask you to disclose to us your email address so that we can verify your account and send you a new password.
- We will use your email address to respond to messages you send us or to communicate with you about the MakerSpace service or your account.
- If we detect repeated abusive behavior from your account or IP address, we may share your account name, IP address, and the time and content of the abusive behavior with the IP address owner (such as a school or internet service provided).
- We may use de-identified location, age, gender, and usage data in research studies intended to improve our understanding of how people learn with MakerSpace.
- Other than as described above, we will never share personally identifiable information about you with any other person, company, or organization, except:
- As required to comply with our obligations under the law.
- For technical reasons, if we are required to transfer the data on our servers to another location or organization.
How can I update my personal information?
- You can update your profile information and reset your password through the Account Settings page. You cannot change your username, but you can make a new account and manually copy your projects to the new account.
- If you want to delete your account entirely, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your user name and the email address associated with the account. You will receive a confirmation email at that same address.
How does the MakerSpace Team protect my information?
The MakerSpace Team has in place physical and electronic procedures to protect the information we collect on the MakerSpace website. We strictly limit individual access to our servers and the data we store on them. However, as effective as these measures are, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot completely guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.