6-month Contract to Possible Hire
Maker Media is looking for an experienced engineer eager to build great online experiences in the role of Engineering Lead, Community.
The Engineering Lead works collaboratively with product managers, business stakeholders and platform engineers to build, maintain and improve Maker Media web properties designed to support the Maker community. The Engineering Lead works cross-functionally to plan, define and implement website changes and functional improvements and is responsible for maintaining the performance and user experience of its community website. This position will work closely with an off-shore development team.
- Assess and oversee the technical delivery of high-quality projects and products
- Identify and escalate issues related to uptime and performance tuning to outside development teams
- Work side-by-side with Product Managers to ensure that we deliver to our clients and members a quality product that surpasses their expectations, and in a timely manner
- Responsible for system configuration, site monitoring and load testing of an AWS install
- Responsible for the deliverables of a cross functional team which includes Web, API and Mobile developers
- To work closely with the Director of Engineering and peer Leads to identify and champion system architecture changes.
- Leading the technical choices and implementations alongside peers to ensure high level requirements from project stakeholders are satisfied, complete and testable
- Design, maintain, and assess engineering priorities taking into account performance, maintainability/complexity, market trends and innovation, controlling costs, system robustness and scalability, and long term quality initiatives
- Assist as necessary with defining roles and assigning workloads for their area of responsibility
- Participate in and monitor the effectiveness of requirement, design, code, unit test and QA test case reviews and inspections
- Integration development & project deliverables as needed
- Capable of breaking down sprint goals into tasks for other engineers
- Can fully own the release process for new builds
Desired Skills and Experience:
- You’re a talented, experienced full-stack senior engineer who has worked on a diverse set of problems including architecting, building, shipping, maintaining, and automating high-quality software.
- You have experience building, shipping, and maintaining APIs of reasonable complexity.
- You have 2+ years Experience in a lead role or managing junior developers.
- You have worked on agile scrum teams.
- You have knowledge of continuous integration and experience supporting it
- You have intimate knowledge and experience working with git: branching, merging, pull requests, etc.
- You have significant experience working with a distributed team, specifically overseas development teams.
- You have outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- You understand the value of unit tests and good documentation and how to write them well.
- You’re looking to be part of a team of mature, effective, kind, hard-working and bright people and feel comfortable in a player-coach role.
Required Technical Skills:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Computer Science is required.
- Strong database skills with SQL and NoSQL
- 5+ years JSON/AJAX/RESTful API Development
- 5+ years with Java-script/jQuery
- PHP development
- Bootstrap /CSS/LESS
- Apache Solr
- Unit Testing (PHP/JS)
Knowledge of and passion for the Maker Movement a huge plus; real-world experience with Drupal and/or the WordPress CMS a huge plus.
Benefits and Other Tidbits:
- This position is San Francisco-based, with occasional travel to San Jose, CA and Sebastopol, CA
- Salary and level to be determined by experience and education.
- Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Anyone interested in applying can go to www.makermedia.com and find the job openings listed under the “work with us” tab. Email your resume (please include the job title in the subject line) in a Word or PDF document to [email protected].