MAKE unites, inspires, informs and entertains a growing community of like-minded people who undertake amazing projects in their backyards, basements, and garages. MAKE celebrates your right to tweak, hack, and bend any technology to your will. Make: Magazine, Maker Shed, and Maker Faire nurture a growing community that believes in bettering ourselves, our environment, our educational system—our entire world. Care to join us?
The Senior Editor at Maker Media plays a critical role in influencing the direction of our media channels, developing and managing both online and print content and designated sections, and building and maintaining key relationships with the maker and writing communities. This position also requires a keen understanding of makers (that they do, why they’re important, and what they’re influencing), technology, publishing, social outreach and relationship building. This position reports to the Editorial Director.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Assigns (to freelancers and internal edit staff), edits, writes, proofreads, and copyedits a variety of stories for publication in MAKE magazine and makezine.com.
- Oversees the layout, appearance, and content of stories in his/her section and additional pieces he/she may be responsible for.
- Cultivates sources and builds professional relationships with those in the media, PR, and Maker communities.
- Actively communicate with external contacts, as well as maintain regular dialog with internal stakeholders (sales, marketing, executive team).
- Keeps abreast of current events and trends in specific assigned areas; relays information about said areas to the rest of the editorial staff and other internal stakeholders (sales, marketing, etc.).
- Actively participates in brainstorming meetings regarding overall content direction and special projects.
- Contributes to special projects and event coordination and formulates appropriate content recommendations.
- Provides direction, guidance and instruction to any writers or editors providing content.
- Ensures that all materials meet established content standards and meets editorial deadlines.
- Continues to hone writing skills of writing while maintaining originality.
- Develops or assists in developing work plans for various projects.
- Outreach into Maker community, including master makers, advisory panels, friends of MAKE, and general enthusiasts) for editorial content (ideas, feedback, projects) for inclusion in any MAKE medium (print, online, etc.).
- Researches topics and pitch story ideas in editorial planning meetings.
- Works across several issues simultaneously; and plans for future issues.
- Create content with viral potential, and execute promotion of stories, as well as attract and reach users, across Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and other social avenues.
- Weekly status updates.
- Two projects a week from contributors.
- Four new contributors a month for online/print.
- Spend two days a month out in the field, meeting and reporting on makers and/or maker event.
- Requires a bachelor s degree in Journalism or in a related area.
- At least 5 years of experience as an editor.
- Experience working with desktop publishing and online documentation software.
- Knows proper content style, grammar, sentence form and structure.
- Strong overall communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
Benefits and Other Interesting Tidbits:
- Our generous benefits package includes: health, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, and a 401(k) with matching program.
- This position is located in Berkeley, CA.
- Salary and level to be determined by experience and education.
To apply for this position, please email your resume in a Word or PDF document to email@example.com.
Please include the job title in the subject line. Thanks!
Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.