Content and Community Editor
Make: unites, inspires, informs, and entertains a worldwide community of like-minded people who dare to innovate and create in their backyards, basements, and garages. Make: magazine, Maker Shed and Maker Faire, and our new online community platform Maker Share, support how makers learn, earn and live.
The Content and Community Editor plays a big role with Make:, creating and promoting a diverse range of articles and posts. This employee will produce content for our digital channels, magazine pages, and social outlets. They will develop and administer an interactive relationship between makers and the company using existing and future platforms. The successful candidate will also be required to collect and review social media data to develop more effective campaigns.
- Cultivate and work with authors to create story ideas and concepts, and manage authors throughout the publication process of our digital platforms and Make: magazine
- Onboard incoming authors with Make: branding and style guides
- Re-structure and edit articles by content writers
- Generate new ideas around industry-related topics
- Interview industry professionals and use online sources to research topics
- Ensure all content is written in an engaging and accessible way for the relevant audience, and is consistent in terms of tone of voice, style, and key messaging across all media
- Help manage the content publishing schedule to ensure a steady flow of new and/or repurposed content is delivered across our main digital channels
- Write magazine articles, blog posts, and marketing copy
- Update website and social media pages with new content
- Assist with event coverage and promotion
- Conceive and launch community-focused activities (live-streamed learning events, magazine launch videos, etc).
- Oversee community channels (Disqus, Discord, etc)
- Write posts, respond to community queries, and curate Make: social media channels (including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube)
- Optimize the methods and overall approach for Make’s social media campaigns with an emphasis on ROI for paid products and services
- Set specific ROI objectives that tie social metrics back to core business objectives
- Define and report on metrics that measure engagement on our social channels and use them to develop campaign strategy
- Collaborate with department leaders to develop promotional campaigns for all Make: products and services
- Find creative ways to utilize and interact on social channels and nurture community interactions, including responding to community inquiries and requests
- Generate, edit, publish and share engaging content daily (e.g. original text, photos, videos and news)
- Spot trends in the broader maker community that can be incorporated into Make: social campaigns
- Propose options for social media platforms and management tools
- 5+ years magazine/online editorial experience
- 3+ years’ experience in social media management
- Exceptional multitasking skills
- Able to explain complex social media data in an understandable way
- Knowledge of Facebook’s advertising platform
- Copywriting skills
- Knowledge of design tools in Adobe Creative Suite
- Demonstrated proficiency as a maker and/or direct participation in Maker Faire as an exhibitor or producer strongly desired
Benefits and Other Interesting Tidbits:
- This position is located in our San Francisco office
- Our generous benefits package includes: health, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, and a 401(k) with matching program
- Salary and level to be determined by experience and education
- Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
To apply for this position, email your resume in a Word or PDF document to [email protected].
Please include the job title in the subject line. Thanks!
Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer