Make: unites, inspires, informs, and entertains a growing community of like-minded people who undertake amazing projects in their backyards, basements, and garages. Make: celebrates your right to tweak, hack, and bend any technology to your will. Make: magazine, Maker Shed and Maker Faire, and our learning and membership platform Make.co all nurture a growing community that believes in bettering ourselves, our environment, our educational system – our entire world. Care to join us?
Under direction and guidance of the Managing Director of Events, The Content Coordinator will cultivate and curate stage presentation content for our flagship events, including but not exclusive of Maker Faire Bay Area and Maker Faire New York 2019. We’re looking for an individual with familiarity with the maker movement and community, an instinct for good narratives across multiple disciplines and topics, a voracious reader and content consumer, and someone who has experience designing multi-track conference programs. This individual is responsible for working with talent and our Advisory Board, ensuring they get the best experience possible before, during, and after Maker Faire.
This temporary position will run from February through approximately mid-October, and will report to the Director of Events. Hours will range from 20-25/week with a steady increase April-May and August-September.
- Outreach and Curation
- Coordinate with Maker Faire leadership, Make: editorial team and Advisory Board to cultivate speaker recommendations. Attend regular Make: editorial meetings.
- Research possible presenters and source contact information
- Source contact information for presenters and communicate invitations
- Review recommended exhibit records to cultivate content for stages
- Review all presentation records for quality and program priority
- Deliver compelling schedule for stage presentation program for 5+ stages per event
- Manage presentation talent budget.
- Ongoing Development of Maker Talent Database
- Talent Management
- Communicate with the speaker applicants & answer questions from interested parties. Work with Maker Relations team to deliver all communications to presenters.
- Continue communicating with speakers throughout the process, getting them to update their application info, giving them pre-conference help and instructions.
- Coordinate with Marketing and Hospitality teams to share information and to coordinate hospitality for talent
- Be available onsite at event for speaker support.
- Follow up with speakers after event. feedback to provide for next years, permissions to use materials (ie. audio), and ensuring we have all the presentation files for our attendees
- Edit presentation titles and descriptions for end user and promotion purposes; assist marketing team with content for promotion
- Participate in website and app representation of schedule and content
- Support onsite check in for speakers
- Help oversee audio visual team per speaker requirements, and act as liaison between talent and A/V
- Train and manage stage managers
- Advisory Board Management
- Work with Managing Director to design communication program and arc of engagement for Advisory Board (generally speaking ideas and referrals for presentation program, and asks for social media promotion of the events)
- Work with Marketing team to execute outreach and onsite hospitality for Advisory Board
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Project management skills; detail oriented; ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated and relevant experience in events and conference curation
- Proficiency in Google docs, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Keynote, WordPress, as well as facility and openness to learn our in-house production software
- Ability to interact with staff at all levels in a fast-paced environment
- Sense of humor absolutely necessary!
Other Interesting Tidbits:
- This position is based at our San Francisco office location
- Salary and level to be determined by experience and education
- This is a temporary position and therefore not eligible for benefits
- Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume in a Word or PDF document to [email protected]. Please include the job title in the subject line. Thanks!