Digital Product Designer
MAKE unites, inspires, informs, and entertains a growing community of like-minded people who undertake amazing projects in their backyards, basements, and garages. MAKE celebrates your right to tweak, hack, and bend any technology to your will. Make: magazine, Maker Shed and Maker Faire, and our new online platform Maker Share, nurture a growing community that believes in bettering ourselves, our environment, our educational system – our entire world. Care to join us?
The Digital Product Designer works in a cross-departmental role, in support of the user experience and design and brand consistency across all digital properties. Responsible for both daily maintenance and special initiatives, the position’s core responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Partnering with product managers, product owners, and engineering teams to solve business needs for responsive digital products
- Conceptualizing complex problems and distill them into clean and elegant interfaces and presentations
- Bringing ideas to life with compelling visual pieces and clear writing
- Producing UI/UX guides for new builds
- Collaborating in the iterative design process to constantly refine and develop digital tools
- Serving as branding and design ambassador for outward facing sales and promotional materials
- Managing the Assistant Designer and all digital design contractors
- Creating and managing product build calendars
- Sourcing imagery and artwork
- 3+ years of experience at an online content brand
- Up-to-date and active knowledge of UX/UI and web development best practices
- Ability to document and communicate design requirements to technical teams
- Expert knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, Powerpoint, Keynote, and prototyping software
- Intermediate knowledge of CSS3 and HTML5
- Extensive experience working in an Agile environment
- Ability to lead a diverse group of people with diverse skill sets
- Active effort to stay abreast of new design practices and tools
- Bonus Points: Knowledge of and passion for the maker movement
The Ideal Candidate
- Is actively involved in defining product strategy
- Thinks in terms of design systems
- Uses the phrase “pixel-perfect”
- Is a self-starter who thrives in an environment with short feedback loops
- Understands what makes a user experience good or bad
- Loves making beautiful things and thinks about things like composition, balance, symmetry, and white space
- Understands the technical limitations and liberties behind your decisions and have enough chops to communicate your ideas to our engineers
- Pays attention to what people ask them to read and understand. For example, you will paste your favorite emoji before your first name on the subject line of your email to us.
Benefits and Other Interesting Tidbits:
- This position is located in our San Francisco office
- Our generous benefits package includes: health, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, and a 401(k) with matching program
- Salary and level to be determined by experience and education
- Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter in a Word or PDF document to [email protected].
Please include the job title in the subject line. Thanks!
Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.