Make: unites, inspires, informs, and entertains a worldwide community of like-minded people who dare to innovate and create in their backyards, basements, and garages. Make: magazine, Maker Shed and Maker Faire, and our new online community platform Maker Share, support how makers learn, earn and live.
Our Photographer/Photo Editor handles photography, image research, and photo editing of Maker Media products, including our digital platforms, Make: magazine, and other Maker Media products. The Photo Editor must work simultaneously with many departments on tight deadlines to shoot or source and license high quality photography.
Photographer and Photo Editor Functions:
- Takes photographs as needed for our digital outlets, magazine articles and covers, projects, advertisements, and commerce.
- Produces event photography for our Maker Faire Bay Area and World Maker Faire NYC for digital, editorial, and advertising
- Shoots photographs in both studio and outdoor
- Translates technical notes into easy to understand photos for step-by-step how-tos.
- Sources photography from Make: editors, art director, authors, and approved stock photo
- Works closely with editors and art director to understand the image
- Passes selected images to editorial in approved
- Determines status of image rights and secures publication rights for all photographs used by Maker
- Sets up and submits photographer contracts for any outsourced
- Reviews completed layouts, determining licensing payments as
- Proofs each magazine issue for digital photo editing and ensuring photographer credits are
- Contacts photo sources with usage information, requesting invoices for
- Manages internal archives of Maker Media and Maker Faire image
- Provides photo services and edits, tags, renames, and archives digital
- Edits and assembles basic videos for social media, and assists video producer/director regarding production plans, setting, and physical
- Ensures the operational condition of departmental equipment by testing, performing repairs, and performing setups and preventive maintenance as appropriate, and oversees the security, operation and maintenance of equipment utilized in shooting and
- Manages in-house lab interns to photograph projects for magazine or other
- 5+ years of digital and print photography for magazines or publications
- 3+ years in a photo research or photo editing position
- Intermediate knowledge of CC Photoshop
- Strong organization, time-management, prioritization, multitasking, independent-decision making, communication, problem-solving, interpersonal, and analytical
- Works well under deadlines, self-starter, innovative, team-oriented, and customer-focused.
- Familiarity with the maker community is a big
- This is a contractor position
- Salary and level to be determined by experience and education
- Position is based in San Francisco
To apply for this position, email your resume in a Word or PDF document to [email protected].
Please include the job title in the subject line. Thanks!
Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer