Web Application Developer – 6 Month Contract (with conversion options)
MAKE unites, inspires, informs, and entertains a growing community of like-minded people who undertake amazing projects in their backyards, basements, and garages. MAKE celebrates your right to tweak, hack, and bend any technology to your will. Make: magazine, Maker Shed and Maker Faire nurture a growing community that believes in bettering ourselves, our environment, our educational system—our entire world. Care to join us?
The Web Application Developer will work to develop and maintain the online systems that power our network of public-facing websites and back-end web-powered solutions. Maker Media websites are powered primarily with WordPress. Some of the websites within this network include Makezine.com and Make: magazine, Maker Shed and Makerfaire.com.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Develop, integrate, and maintain custom web applications and WordPress themes with a solid understanding of coding best practices
- Integrate back-end services with front-end design
- Participate in imagining new responsive solutions on a network of high-traffic websites
- Analyze and resolve day-to-day issues and bugs
- Communicate and enforce coding standards
- Adapt quickly to legacy and evolving architecture, systems, processes and applications
- Take direction while exercising sound professional judgment when solving immediate problems in production environments
- Attended daily progress meetings with Engineering Manager
- Work as part of a team to manage multiple web properties
- Nice to have: experience with Google Analytics
- Nice to have: experience with SEO
- BS/BA in CS, CE, or related field, or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- 3+ years of professional PHP development
- Demonstrated experience with web architectures, technologies, and design
- Demonstrated experience with WordPress and Git
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with and understand the needs of a diverse group of co-workers and customers; develop solutions to meet those needs
- Ability to organize multiple tasks and priorities with or without supervision
This position will be located in San Francisco; this person will be required to work from the San Francisco office a minimum of 3 days a week.
The position does offer a remote option for applicants not located in the SF Bay Area.
Salary and level to be determined by experience and education.
To apply for this position, please click “Apply Now” at the top of the page or email your resume in a Word or PDF document to [email protected]. Please include the job title in the subject line. Thanks!
Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.